I had countless days on my fertility journey where I sat around wondering when or if I would ever get pregnant, and I'm betting you do, too. So here are 12 of my favorite quotes that you can use to bolster yourself on those days when your fertility issues really have you feeling down.
1. "If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it."
(Poke around my site a bit more and you'll see that I'm all about the connection between the
brain and the body. It's so, so, so strong.)
2. "One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be
someone else’s survival guide."
3. "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more
common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a
proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent."
4. "Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, then it’s not the end."
5. "Promise me you’ll always remember that you’re braver than you believe, stronger than you
seem, and smarter than you think."
6. "Never affirm or repeat about your health what you do not wish to be true."
Ralph Waldo Trine
7. "Do or do not. There is no try."
(I love this quote for so many reasons. The first is that I'm an unapologetic Star Wars gal. But
it turns out that there's also a real-life Jedi mind trick involved. When we talk about "trying"
something there's an implicit possibility of "failing," and your brain picks up on that. So
instead of "trying" to have a baby, maybe we ought to "work toward" having a baby. That
implies that everything you do fertility-wise is bringing you closer to your goal. Nifty, right?!)
8. Interviewer: "How do you keep your optimism in the face of difficult circumstances?"
Michael J. Fox: “I think mostly it’s about acceptance. I have no choice about whether I have
Parkinson’s. I have nothing but choices about how I react to it. In those choices there’s
freedom to do a lot of things in areas that I wouldn’t have otherwise found myself in.”
(Substitute "fertility issues" for Parkinson's--we didn't choose it, but we do get to choose
how we react as well as the treatments and support we seek out. And there is power in that.)
9. "We tend to overestimate what we can do in a short time and underestimate what we can do
in a long period."
10. "Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes playing a poor hand well."
11. "There is no such thing as infertility; it is a myth! Rarely have I met a woman of childbearing
age with all her reproductive organs intact who isn’t capable of bearing children. As long as
the anatomical structures are present, a medical diagnosis of “infertility” if often a fallacy.
Many factors can cause a woman to have difficulty conceiving, but once these factors are
overcome and a woman’s body is restored to health, conception can occur naturally."
Dr. Randine Lewis, The Infertility Cure
12. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein (maybe)
(Are there small changes you could make that might better support your fertility? Are you
happy with the care and treatments you're receiving? What about your support system?
Maybe it's time to mix things up a little and try something new like acupuncture, guided
meditation, or even fertility coaching. [Hi, I'm Becky, a fertility coach!])
I hope you've found some fertility inspiration among these quotes. I'd just like to add one more thought to the list: you are a perfect and perfectly whole person without a child. Don't ever believe that you're not.
I send you love and strength, and if you're interested in learning more about how we might be able to work together to enhance your fertility, please drop me a line!